Aug 12, 2018
Dr. Leah Houston is an Emergency Medicine Physician practicing precision medicine in New York. Dr. Leah is also the founder of HPEC.IO a blockchain technology that has major implications for physicians and the healthcare system at large.
In this conversation we learn about:
1. Dr. Houston's early interest in medicine
2. A credentialing and identity breach that impacted Dr. Leah's career, but also resulted as the inspiration for HPEC.IO
3. How physician credentialing is an antiquated system
4. A brief discussion about blockchain technology
5. What HPEC.IO is and how it works
6. The implications of this technology
7. A tip for the listeners
A brief explanation of HPEC.IO:
Dr. Houston has created Humanitarian Physician Empowerment Community (HPEC), a physician-owned community that utilizes blockchain technology. Block Chain technology allows information to be stored, encrypted, and protected via a network of computers to create a distributed ledger. Instead of third parties requiring physicians to verify credentialing, this new system allows physicians to upload their data and have it protected without third-party interference. Leah hopes to invite physicians to be founding members of HPEC and help create the future of healthcare.
Implications Of The Technology
This technology has the ability to (not an exhaustive list):
1.Give physicians a secure self-sovereign digital identity
2. Allow credentialing process of physicians to be exponentially faster
3. Remove third-party involvement from physician identity and bring autonomy and control back to physicians
4. Bring physicians onto one platform in order to vote and influence health care policy and practice
5. Listen to the podcast for more implications of this technology
The Happy Doc is a podcast, website, and movement with a mission to create thriving physicians. Our podcast is a space where we learn from happy doctors such as our latest guest. When we learn from inspiration individuals we see that it is possible to make your dream a reality. Our vision is to help physicians live their healthcare dreams. Are you ready to create your healthcare dream?
Please connect with us at any of our social media handles and join our e-mail list. We will continue to create content that will inspire you on your journey! If you want to collaborate and aid in our mission, please reach out to our e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please SUBSCRIBE to our podcast on iTunes by searching “The Happy Doc.” Please leave us a review on iTunes. Don’t forget to SHARE this with your friends on social media. TAG (@happydocpodcast) and we will give you a shout out!
Here's an explanation video if you are unsure how to do so. It's really quick and is one of the best ways to support us!